HOME   NEWS   DISCUSSIONS   TIMETABLES   WEBCAMS   ROUTE PLANNERS   CONTACT  

The old 47 bus route

Home Forums History The old 47 bus route

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Does anyone remember the 47/a/b bus? I really liked it….it went a wierd way into town though.
    [posted by: Ray]

Al

I remember the 47 when it went to both Tibradden (via Whitechurch) and Rockbrook…also remember the 47A when it was the Orwell Road bus route to/from Churchtown and operated on Rathgar Road.

The “core routes” (i.e. Rockbrook, Tibradden, Grange Road) did indeed go a “weird way” north of Rathfarnham into Terenure; the only vestige retained by the 15C is the operation via Bushy Park Road, but the 47/(A)/B ran on Rathgar Avenue, then turned onto Leicester Square (South and East), thence onto Kenilworth Road (sharing that part of the route with the 83) and rounding off the roundabout running by turning left on Grosvenor Place and right onto Leinster Road, to emerge onto Lower Rathmines Road. Since the routes terminated at Hawkins Street, they would go around St. Stephens Green onto Merrion Square West, then up Westland Row (passing by Pearse Station), and come around onto Pearse Street and Tara Street to Burgh Quay and the terminus (going outbound via Townsend Street and Lombard Street of course). Nowadays, of course, there are no buses on the “weird route” in Rathmines/Rathgar and you have to walk to either Harold’s Cross Road, Terenure Road, Rathgar Road or Lower Rathmines Road…or you can drive like all the high-faluting crowd does and add to the traffic…

Incidentally, how much money was really saved by cancelling the 47/A/B and creating the 15C?? And how does the 15C’s current patronage compare with the old routes?

Anonymous

The 15C is much better to keeping to its timetable than either the 47 or the 47B were. This is because it now terminates at Whitechurch Estate and does not travel further eastwards. I live off the Bally boden Road. Years ago, especially in the morning time, the 47 and 47B bus would be extremely delayed and very crowded(since the bus used to use single deckers for the most part). The 15C is better in that it takes a far more direct route into town and it has a shorter journey. The people off the Grange Road can now avail of the 16 bus(a great bus compared to their old 47B). The people of Tibradden have no bus although the 161 feeder bus that links Nutgrove S.c via Whitechurch Estate to Rockbrook now uses newer single decker versions and cannot turn at Cruagh cemetery just above Rockbrook so the bus now turns onto the Tibradden Road and travels al the way down to the new roundabout at the Marlay Park end of the Tibradden Road and turns around and goes back up via Tibradden to Rockbrook. The 47A was a terrible bus, but I used to get it alot on the Saturday mornings as it would be less crowded than the 47 or the 47B-it was also handy for people going to the Edmondstown National School and the Rockbrook Park Secondary School. I do indeed miss these buses but I can see why they have been scrapped. I hate the 15C-it comes at odd times and is highly infrequent. The only good thing is it is there when it is supposed to be, which RARELY used to happen with the 47s. The 15C goes a much better way into town-especailly the fact that it avoids Merrion Square/Pearse Street etc.
    [posted by: Ray]

There is, as Al points out, no longer any service on Leinster Road or the other roads between there and Rathgar, so that area lost its bus service in toto. On the other hand, with Leinster Road as bad as it now is in the morning rush hour, it is unlikely that anyone would now have the patience to use the service to or from around there.

Anonymous

Where do I start with this?

As a user of the 47 group of routes for many years I got to know the pattern of services intimately!

There were on any given weekday (and Saturday) 5 buses on the route, with 3 early duties, three spreadover duties, one relief duty and two late duties. On Sundays there were three buses on the route, consisting of three early duties, one spreadover and two lates.

The regular drivers (of which there were 8) usually had no problem keeping to the schedule (until later years), with the real problem being the two sparemen duties (particularly the late one which operated the 1730 47).

However, as time moved on traffic along Grange Road got worse and worse and any duties that had a 47B in the afternoon – the relief had three (1435, 1620 and 1815) and the spare one (1535) – all got hammered by the traffic along that narrow winding road as it was, having knock-on effects as the day progressed. In fact often the regular drivers on the 1755 47A would catch the 1730 by Whitechurch and then take any passengers allowing the other duty to return to the city.

The Rathgar Avenue/Kenilworth Square/Grosvenor Place/Leinster Road diversion should have been dispensed with years ago. Virtually no-one boarded/joined on that section and in the mornings inbound the traffic on Leinster Road was so bad that the buses could spend 20-25 minutes getting down that road. The distance to walk to either the 15 or 16 routes from the old 47 route is no more than 5 minutes.

Contrast that with the service now in place. The 15C has slightly fewer trips that the 47 group, but is more reliable and is faster as it travels via Rathgar Road avoiding the traffic jams. It carries more passengers too. We also have the 15X which (if you use it) is far superior to anything else in the area.

People along Grange Road have a much better schedule since the 16 was introduced.

The old 47 schedules on Saturdays and Sundays were far too frequent for the numbers using the bus. While the current Saturday schedule should be enhanced by adding buses at 1435, 1629 and 1810 (this occasionally happens) thus filling long gaps, in general it is sufficient as is the Sunday schedule.

The 47 was a community service – passengers knew the regular drivers who in general never left any of the people travelling beyond Rathfarnham behind. But I do feel that after the initial period when the 15C was not integrated with the other 15/15A/15B services, the service is a better one and a more reliable and cost-effective solution.

Tibradden IS served by the 161 which terminates at Kilmashogue Lane Roundabout. There is a stop at the old terminus.
    [posted by: John]

Anonymous

What do you mean by “relief duties” and “spreadover duties”. Often the 47 or 47B bus drivers from Tibradden or Grange Road would not call to Whitechurch even though they were supposed to.

I remember a very nice 47 bus driver he was sort of fat and had grey hair-he would always give the kids in the area rolls od Dublin bus tickets. I wonder is he still with Dublin Bus?
    [posted by: busfreak]

Anonymous

Relief Duty – Starts early afternoon; Finishes early evening

Spreadover or Bogie Duty – (Usually) starts early morning for 1-2 trips then driver breaks; Restarts mid-afternoon and finishes early evening.

That driver is well retired…but you’re right…he was a gentleman!

As for Whitechurch not being served, I suspect that was when a “spare” driver was on the route rather than the regulars who in fairness knew exactly where they were supposed to go – the running boards and potential routings that buses could take were quite confusing beyond Ballyboden:

1) Route 47A to Rockbrook, continue as route 47 via Tibradden and Whitechurch to city

2) Route 47A to Rockbrook, continue as route 47 via Tibradden and NOT via Whitechurch to city

3) Route 47A to Rockbrook, continue as route 47B via Tibradden, Grange Road and Whitechurch to city

4) Route 47A to Rockbrook, continue as route 47B via Tibradden, Grange Road but NOT via Whitechurch to city

5) Route 47 via Whitechurch and Tibradden to Rockbrook, continue to city as 47A

6) Route 47 via Whitechurch, Grange Road and Tibradden to Rockbrook, continue to city as 47A

7) Route 47B via Whitechurch to Grange Road, returning as route 47B to city via Whitechurch

8) Route 47B via Whitechurch to Grange Road, returning as route 47B to city NOT via Whitechurch

9) Route 47B NOT via Whitechurch to Grange Road, returning as route 47B to city NOT via Whitechurch

10) Route 47B NOT via Whitechurch to Grange Road, returning as route 47B to city via Whitechurch

Are you surprised that occasionally spare guys got a tad confused?

I remember one driver off the 17 who one morning was rostered on the 2nd 47 which operated the 0715 ex-Grange Road via Whitechurch 47B. Unsure of himself as he had no running board he started in Rockbrook, covered Tibradden, Grange Road and Whitechurch just in case!!!
    [posted by: John]

Anonymous

Just slightly off point, what do you think those kids did with the bus rolls?………….That’s right! Throw them up in the air and litter the streets! Very nice indeed.
    [posted by: GO SHARP]

Anonymous

Well Whitechurch is a council estate-there are a minority in it who give the place a bad name, the estate is very rough indeed. I also remember that people waiting for their well-delayed 47/47B in Whitechurch, when the bus came along it was going up to Tibradden or Grange Road and would then come back via whitechurch again into city, the driver would allow them on and sit on the bus for there journey up to Tibradden and back via grange road and whitechurch and then routing into city.

Anonymous

Why didn’t EVERY 47 bus and EVERY 47B bus, in both directions, go through Whitechurch Estate? Do you think the 161 is a satisfactory replacement for the people of Kilmashogue, Tibradden, Rockbrook and Edmonstown? And did many people board at Tibradden on the 47 in the first place?

Anonymous

I wasn’t living in Rathfarnham when the 47s were still going but I use the 15c now. I agree with some of the comments re the 15c – it does stick to its timetable and goes a better, more direct route but unfortunately they just aren’t frequent enough. It’s probably the only bus route where the Nitelink (15N) runs more freequently than the day service! Going into town, there are just 23 on a weekday (the equivalent of less than one an hour for a 24-hour period), 15 on a Saturday and only 13 on a Sunday. Between 6am and 10am on a weekday, there are just seven (yes, 7) 15Cs! This is despite the fact that over 100,000 euros was spent on putting in a QBC on the route! I’ve contacted some of my local councillors asking if they can lobby Dublin Bus to increase the number of buses on the route but having been told by others that they tried to do ther same years ago but to no avail, I don’t know if it will get anywhere. There are significant numbers using the early morning buses with high occupancy rates (there are so few of them, after all) and I genuinely think that it would prove to be a (more) profitable route if they invested in it and publicised it better because, notwithstanding its frequency problems, it’s a great route with it taking just 15-20 mins to get from Willbrook Rd to city centre early morning or weekend afternoons.

And in realtion to the 16, it’s quite possibly the least reliable bus route in the city (both ways) and I gave up using it years ago, and only do so in cases of extreme need!

[posted by: andy]

Anonymous

Completely agree and the morning gaps are treacherous-6.50 and then 7.40 and then 8.05!! And on a sunday the first bus is not until 10.10am–really shoody timetable but they do come when they’re supposed to and they use brand new, low-floor, fully-accessible, CLEAN buses……pity they wouldn’t cross the Liffey and terminate at Parnell Square though.
    [posted by: busrfreak]

anxious

The 47A did not really belong with the other 47s. It used to run from the city centre -Burgh Quay – to the top of the Orwell Road in the 1950, through Rathgar and Rathmines . It was then extended further into Churchtown, along with the 61, to a terminus close to Sean Lemass’s house. It was operated by Leyland double deckers, Bolton class, in the 1960s, fleet numbers R367-8-9, and my recollection is that the buses on the 61 and 47A were interchangeable. The 61 went to the city via Milltown and Ranelagh. One of the conductors was called Wally – Behan, I think – and he was often paired with a driver who with burn scars on his face. Wally was from Rathgar and was too tall for the job, so had a stoop. Another conductor had a hearing aid, and once in Rathgar, outside the post office on pension day when three old dears were making heavy weather of boarding the bus called out: Come on girls before the weather breaks. The service was doubled in the mornings by using an old tour bus, one of the yellow ones named after a river. Brosna comes to mind.

If anyone else has memories of this bus. please let me know. anxious@ireland.com

Al

Quite unexpected to see this revived. A lot changed in five years, eh?

• No more 15C.
    • The 15B now runs to Whitechurch full-time.
    • We have two new bus routes, the 74 and 74A, going to Hunters Wood, and the 74A is the sole bus route running from town along Ballyboden Road.
    • There’s a new, unrelated bus route bearing the number 47, which originally ran from Nutley Lane to Belarmine (just north of Stepaside) via Leopardstown, Stillorgan and the N11 corridor (generally) and now runs from Pearse Street via Ballsbridge and the aforementioned route.
    • The 116? Runs once a day, and is therefore practically useless except to a small niche of commuters (possibly?) since the southbound trip starts at Sussex Road (the Leeson Street Bridge) even though the northbound trip ends at Parnell Square, and it takes the very long way via Stillorgan, Kilmacud, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Ballinteer and Grange Road.

Five years of proving that fixing what isn’t broken doesn’t work. Never mind the decades of fixing what wasn’t broken before that. Would be nice to stop playing political football with bus routes, yes?

LG MAN

The original route 55 ran to Rathfarnham between 1934 & 1941 and generally complimented route 47 between the City & Rathfarnham, the only difference between the services was that the 47 ran via Kenilworth Square & Rathgar Ave but the 55 ran via Grosvenor Rd and turned right onto Rathgar Rd rejoining the 47 at Rathgar Cross. Amazingly, the 55 ran every 9 mins for most of the day with the last bus leaving the City at 5mins past Midnight!! It was withdrawn in 1941 due to the ‘Emergency’ with no replacement or increased service on the 47, one wonders were all the custom disappeared to!!. Another short lived service, the 57 (re-numbered from 74) also followed the 47 as far as Whitechurch before continuing on to the Pine Forest, this ran between 1939 & 1940 and ran every 30mins approx, it returned in 1950 as a summer only Sunday service but never returned again after that one stint. Interestingly, the original route 74 also ran to the Pine Forest between 1934 & 1938, not to remote from the current route 74 service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.