HOME   NEWS   DISCUSSIONS   TIMETABLES   WEBCAMS   ROUTE PLANNERS   CONTACT  

S**t has hit the fan @ aircoach

Home Forums Off-Topic S**t has hit the fan @ aircoach

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Al

I know my rights and entitlements and would not take it lying down if I was denied them

You must have deep pockets, to be able to afford all that legal representation. Others are not so well-monied.

Anonymous

As if a union would spend a small fortune representing one bloke in court.It wouldnt get that far.I'd be straight to my local TD and let him earn his few bob,and give the odd journalist a bell.Where theres a will…
    [posted by: Graham]

Paul Hardy

Union officials are in the Rights Commissioner service and the Employment Appeals Tribunals all the time, probably too often. The number of cases that are farmed out to solicitors is very small.

Al

As if a union would spend a small fortune representing one bloke in court. It wouldnt get that far

It's not supposed to “get that far” when it comes to union representation. The company is supposed to abide by the agreement(s) thereof. Where the company fails to abide, then that's going against the whole union.

I'd be straight to my local TD and let him earn his few bob, and give the odd journalist a bell. Where theres a will…

Yeah, and you'll be blacklisted by all the non-union bus companies. You'll still need a lawyer if you go that route, and that's no small piece of dough—no TD will agree to represent you unless it's a huge matter.

Anonymous

Employment laws being broken is not a big issue.Have a word with yourself.TD's have to follow up the concerns of their constituants and journos would dive on it.I do recall there recently being national uproar over ONE Irish ferries employee being explioted.Being blacklisted for standing up for my rights would be another great story for journos.I'm sick of the Irish attitude that nothing can be done with out a good ol union.20 years ago maybe.
    [posted by: graham]

Al

I do recall there recently being national uproar over ONE Irish ferries employee being explioted

Yes, a union member. The Irish Congress of Trade Unions along with their member unions engaged in the protest. There's absolutely no precedent for what you think you'll be able to do—you'll fall through the cracks, and the only help you will be able to avail of is from those unions you villify so much.

Anonymous

Union member or not she would've have had her problem solved if she went down other avenues.Nobody would stand by while someone got paid a euro an hour.All I'm saying is that IMO unions aren't the be all and end all solution when difficulties arise.Either way its all elementary as I don't have a problem with my employer.

Anonymous

And just so you know,I'm not anti Union,Just anti unions like Siptu who have become so big they lose the ability/will to look after their individual members needs and only get involved when an issue affects the majority.Siptu and the NBRU's inability to accurately represent their members wishes during some issues in my time at Dublin bus led to the formation of the Independent workers union.This is a union for whom I have the greatest respect as they represented each and everyone of their members on all issues affecting them.They did it so well the Dublin bus disciplined and even suspended drivers who joined it,yet they insist of you joing one of the other 2.It's this,IMO,that highlights just how ineffective and out of touch largescale unions are

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.