HOME   NEWS   DISCUSSIONS   TIMETABLES   WEBCAMS   ROUTE PLANNERS   CONTACT  

S**t has hit the fan @ aircoach

Home Forums Off-Topic S**t has hit the fan @ aircoach

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 13 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

The boys from Liberty Hall (Siptu) have moved in @ Aircoach. Expect big changes!!!!!!!!!

Comon the aircoach drivers this is your chance!
    [posted by: Jc]

duffman5555

about time 12 hour shifts no breaks… happy days…

Anonymous

Nobody forces them to work for Aircoach.Surely they noticed their rosters before they signed up.Also,Siptu showed their true colours when they signed the “no strike” deal with Connex for the Luas so i wouldn't get hopes up that they are the knights in shining armour.
    [posted by: Graham]

Anonymous

Nothing to do with Spitu my friend.. blame your newbie cowardly connex drivers! The whole luas system should be given to a new operater, start from scratch.
    [posted by: JC]

Anonymous

Everything to do with siptu.They negotiated and signed the deal.Luas drivers had nothing to do with it and dont get a choice.People wanting to work on Luas HAVE to abide by the no strike agreement thanks to the wasters in siptu who are supposed to look after their members interests not that of their members employers.

a-555

Hi Graham (owner or Mortons) it is up to your employees to decide if they want a union your attitude towards 12 hour shifts tell us you have a lot to worry about… labour laws protect workers from employers like you and aircoach..stop dishing SIPTU remember you will have to deal with them soon….

Anonymous

Properly run companys who don't infringe labour laws have nothing to fear from union involvement.My attitude to 12 hour shifts is that I wouldnt drive that long without a break for any money,which is why I exercised my right not to apply to drive for Aircoach,just like the whingers who do work for them couldve done.Mortons is run by Paul,and if some of his drivers want to waste a fiver a week paying union membership for precisely zero benefits thats up to them,I won't and never will.I wasted enough of my money when I was forced to join in DB.I can negotiate for myself and I know the labour laws of this country.I can fight my own battles thanks very much.How can anyone defend siptu who took away from their members the one remaining avenue open to them when all else fails.They were only interested in getting luas drivers membership fees when they signed that deal,as is obvious to most intelligent people.Shouldn't you be in school…

a-555

hit a nerve.. your a brother of Paul so your looked after I am sure…

Anonymous

Don't flatter yourself.I've come across far more cretinous people than your good self.When you feel like actually contributing to a debate in a constructive way why don't you pop back and express your views on wonderful siptu

AlekSmart

A most enlightening discussion.

Whether or not Graham is a Norton or not is surely a moot point.

As he points out he does not have to join a Trade Union if he does not wish too….unless,that is membership of such is a requirement of a contract of employment.

I find Grahams terminology quite revealing in many ways especially his admission to “Knowing the Labour laws” and being able to “Fight My own Battles”

These colourful terms,of themselves,appear to indicate quite a robust attitude towards life and its occurrences.

I also see a reference on another thread to most of Mortons drivers being of Non-National extraction who could not care less about structured representation.

I`m quite sure Graham`s use of the non-national card is somewhat tongue-in-cheek as if it`s not then in the words of the song…”There could Be Trouble ahead”

One of the most self-damaging aspects of modern Irelands attitude to the new entrant migrant labour market is it`s taking for granted of the quiet compliance of foreign labour with working conditions which in the Public Transport arena can be downright demeaning while remaining within the grey area of legality.

That being said,I certainly do not carry any can for SIPTU or indeed ANY of the major Transport related unions.

However as Aircoach is proving,when a major multi-national assumes control then it`s own operational strategies are brought on board asap.

I am quite sure that John O Sullivan would,like Paul Morton, not have had the organized Trade Union movement about the Aircoach estate,as Lord Brookeborough remarked about the Catholics in the old Northern Ireland,BUT the realpolitik of First Group demands structures be in place to facilitate ease of management.

This reality is why when PD Senator Tom Morrissey writes about Bus Groups with 5,000 vehicles waiting to start business her in the Republic,he is sounding the death-knell for the Paul Morton size businesses within the Irish Public Transport market,just as much as the end of Dublin Bus.

In fact I believe that Morton Circle-Line size operators will simply be discreetly bought up and subsumed into the OBC… One Big Company…..Which brings us neatly back to the beginnings of CIE in 1945…….

Anonymous

tongue in cheek,not really.They are foreign but they are employed under exactly the same terms as I am,terms which to my mind none of us find exploiting of us and it is that which prompted the Couldn't care less remark.Trouble ahead,I don't believe it to be looming as we all know our T&C's.I really don't see why I need structured representation from anybody as you can be sure I would make my voice heard if i was exploited.I'm sure if our non national drivers were feeling exploited they may well look to union representation as it would be far easier for them to have a union sort it but as i said I'd rather do it myself.That way i could be assured that people would be hearing exactly what I want them to hear,not what a union big wig wants heard.robust is a good word to describe me.I know my rights and entitlements and would not take it lying down if I was denied them. The internet is a precious resource for educating ones self on whether I have a legitmate reason to moan or not.I don't get paid a lot by I choose to drive for it,which is why I have little sympathy for drivers who accept 12 hour,no break rostering and then complain about it after signing up.That said i do question the legality of such an arrangement and would be interested in the outcome of this one.

AlekSmart

TIC indeed Graham,but in an era of ultra Correctness in every field,a little Tongue can get U in a Lotta Twouble.

I agree absolutely about having a robust attitude to wat we do.

For What its worth I believe the single greatest attribute a GOOD Busdriver can have is self-confidence.

However one of the first casualties of the current ultra-PC environment is that very confidence and it is replaced by a reliance upon Company Policy which can sometimes be sadly lacking in “Robustness” when it comes to imposing order upon chaos.

Now your ability to look after your own interests is laudable indeed and thoroughly desirable too,BUT…remove yourself from the surroundings of Mortons and place yourself in,for example….Stagecoach Ireland…a new entity with 5,000 Buses and 7,500 drivers and try to achieve the necessary level of attention from the HR department or indeed the IR department and you will soon find yourself marking time to an enormous degree whilst awaiting the return of the appropriate manager from Study/Paternity/Maternity/Sick/Special leave tec etc.

As for accepting the legality of 12 hour days if already pre-approved at interview stage,well I imagine that a skilled interviewer will be “economic” with the actualitè….leaving the thrilled new-start wit the impression that 12 hr days may sometimes be required if the exiegiencies of service require….

As you say…the outcome will be interesting…..as of course will the 48hr week !!!!

Anonymous

Maybe the full scenario was not exposed to hopefulls and I do hope their situation is sorted to their benefit.Also I fully accept your point regarding my independence in a larger company.Its probably THE reason I became anti union whilst in DB.Union involvement would be a cross I'd reluctantly bear if I ever return to largescale transport companies.I had my fill on that one though so if Mortons is ever “swallowed”,rather than having to strain to make my voice heard I'll probably wash my hands of it and drive a Taxi! I'd enjoy going against what their unions say!

Nice to talk with somone with a brain in here for once,Now lets see what siptu make of their new memberships,hopefully better than their job in veoila

Paul Hardy

Anyone know why my posting on this thread was removed?

Anonymous

It was on the help thread not this one.Its still there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.