HOME   NEWS   DISCUSSIONS   TIMETABLES   WEBCAMS   ROUTE PLANNERS   CONTACT  

Lack of Bus Routes in Dalkey.

Home Forums Timetables and Routes Lack of Bus Routes in Dalkey.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  paddy.brophy 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

paddy.brophy

I am from Dalkey and I have to say that there is a huge lack of proper bus routes to and from the area.I just want some opinions.I know that the 59, 8 and 7D serve the area.However, the 7D only has two bus journeys in the morning and one evening return. It goes into town via UCD. The 8 comes 7 times a day each way Monday to Friday with no weekend services. The 59 only drops people off at Mackintosh Park. I think it is rediculous having to go to Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire to get various bus routes.The point I am trying to get at is that Dalkey lacks proper direct connectivity with the Dual Carriageway, Sandyford and other areas of importance (More so than Mackintosh Park). Would anyone agree with me that the demand is there in the Dalkey, Killiney and Sandycove area for west bound bus routes?
    [posted by: Patrick Brophy]

Anonymous

Take the DART that most allot of people in Dublin don't have access to!
    [posted by: Joe]

paddy.brophy

I know Joe.However, the only areas that people from Dalkey have access to is town(very important) and Mackintosh Park which is 10-15 minutes walk from the Dual Carriageway.I am aware that the people from Mackintosh Park need a bus to Dun Laoghaire.However, that is beside the point.The combined population of the Dalkey,Killiney and Sandycove areas is roughly 22000.The point I am making is that there should be at least one regular bus service covering the aformentioned area which would take people to the likes of Cabinteely, UCD and Sandyford Industrial Estate.While the emphasis on transport is getting people into the heart of Dublin,there are still a lot of people from the area in question who travel north west.I feel very lucky to live near such a great system like the DART but a bus service is needed to cover the upper road as well as it brings people to other areas in town that are nowhere near the DART.The 7D is a very poor bus service with only two morning journeys at irregular times and one evening return and one service on a Saturday.
    [posted by: Patrick Brophy]

Al

The 8 was cancelled a number of years ago; the replacement route, 7D, originally ran over the 8’s entire route. The 59 (and back then the 59A, when it ran) were the “local” routes, and today as then the intent was to have strictly local bus service with direct operations to Dublin city centre restricted to peak hours; or passengers bound for Dublin should ride the DART. Folly, IMHO. (After all, did they restrict bus service via Sandycove and Glenageary just because they have DART stations, too?)

Richard2

There was a no.8 run again for a year or 2 after a campaign by a local FG politician called Eugene Regan, but DB made a dog’s breakfast of it, running it at poor frequency and by a different route from its old one. I find it intensely frustrating visiting 2 close friends of mine in Sandycove and Glenageary, and I am sure there are many others who feel the same. Shame on DB for their shoddy treatment of this area.

paddy.brophy

If I were working for the department of Dublin Bus that deals with routes and timetables, I would introduce the following 3 services from the area in question:

First route: Dalkey Station, Killiney Towers, Killiney Shopping Centre, Ballybrack, Cherrywood, M50 (Non-stop), Carrickmines, Stepaside, Sandyford, Dundrum, Terenure, Rathfarnham, Hazelhatch Station, Liffey Valley and Lucan. This would be half hourly on peak and hourly off peak during the week. It would be hourly throughout the weekend.

Second route: Dalkey Station, Killiney Towers, Killiney Shopping Centre, Johnstown Road, Cabinteely, Cornelscourt, Foxrock, Stillorgan, UCD, Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Georges Street, Dame Street, O’Connell Street and Parnell Square. This would be half hourly on peak and hourly off peak Monday to Saturday. It would be hourly on a Sunday.

Third route: Dalkey Station, Killiney Towers, Glenageary Shopping Center, Deansgrange, Foxrock, Sandyford Industrial Estate (for the Luas Green Line), M50 (Non-stop), Tallaght Square (for the Luas Red Line), Clondalkin Train Station, Liffey Valley, M50 (Non-stop) and Blanchardstown. It would have the same frequency as the Second route. These routes would run until 11:30 in the evening.

I would also have an alternate version of the aforemetioned routes covering more specific parts of the Killiney, Dalkey and Sandycove areas with similar frequency. Therefore, Dalkey would become an additional interchange by the DART line. This would mean a better balance of services between Sydney Parade, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Bray. It may also have a knock on effect which would increase the amount of trains serving Dalkey as more people would be getting on and off at Dalkey to and from various bus services.

The above three routes are merely suggestions and certain stretches might not reflect the demand of tranportation needs. It would however connect Dalkey with a lot of business districts thereby opening the door to a huge amount of new employement options and opportunities. The 59 would still exist in its current frequency. I would have the frequency of the 8 bus increased to hourly during the week and 90 minutely at the weekends making sure that the last bus left Dalkey at 11:30 in the evening. I would also suggest having the 7D bus running at a similar clockface and have it bypass Monkstown Farm to knock time off the journey length.

A message in another topic on this website suggested having every three or four 46A buses being sent to Dalkey. With this, the supply might end up exceeding demand. However, on its Nitelink route (the 46N), there is on average 5 or 6 people still on the bus passed Dun Laoghaire. Surely, if this is the level of demand at night, the demand during the day would be many times higher. On occassion, this handy number has dropped me at the bottom of my road leaving me with a 2 minute walk as opposed to a 15 minute walk. Usually, it only stops at the Post Office before going back along the same it came from. The Post Office is a considerable distance from my house. The advantage that the bus has over the DART is that it can drop people closer to where they want to go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.